Hospitality Mental Health Competency 2: Common Conditions
Introductory | Mental Health Literacy
| 1 Hour
About the Course
An important part of increasing your mental health competency is being able to recognize common mental health conditions and help people to find the support they need. In Mental Health Competency 2: Common Conditions you will learn information that may be vital in helping people who experience mental health disorders to find support in managing their symptoms. This course is an engaging part of the Mental Health Ally series and provides engaging learning based on current research and relevant articles while utilizing the most recent techniques in online learning.
NOTE: We recommend completing Mental Health Competency 1 before taking any other Mental Health Ally Series courses.
Estimated Course Length: 1 Hour
Course Includes: 16 sections with components in each section (components consist of a mixed media approach with lived experience videos, animation explainer videos and a knowledge game).
Companion Videos: 17 companion videos created for enhanced learning on key course topics in Mental Health Competency 1. Over 120 mental health literacy videos on a host of mental health topics.
Downloadable PDFs: 4 downloadable PDFs expanding on relevant course topics
Target Audience: Hospitality workers
Level of Instruction: Introductory
Instructional Method: Self-paced, interactive, hybrid of audio, text, video, and learning checks
Accessibility Accommodations: Closed captioning of all audio and video components
What the learner should know upon course completion:
- Describe at least three of the five common mental health conditions covered within this course. The description must include a common definition of each condition and three accompanying symptoms.
- Summarize at least three practical tips that can be implemented when interacting with friends, loved ones or colleagues who may be struggling with a mental health condition.
- Pre Course Assessment
- A Brief History of Mental Care
- Facts About Mental Health
- What Causes Mental Illness?
- Dispelling Stigma
- Understanding the DSM5
- Discussion of the Most Common Disorders
- Bipolar Disorder
- Anxiety Disorders
- Trauma and Stressor-Related Disorders
- Psychotic Disorders
- Other Common Mental Health Disorders
- General Warning Signs
- Practical Ways to Help and Treatment Options
- Language Matters
- Expressing Concern
- Knowledge Check
- Discussion Summary
- Post-Course Assessment