Estimated Course Length: 1 Hour
Course Includes: 13 sections with components in each section (components consist of a mixed media approach with lived experience testimonials, animation explainer videos, and a knowledge game)
Companion Videos:10 companion videos created for enhanced learning on key course topics in Mental Health Competency 3: Substance Use Awareness; over 120 mental health literacy videos on a host of mental health topics
Downloadable PDFs: 6 downloadable PDFs expanding on relevant course topics
Target Audience: Mental Health and Medical Providers, Healthcare Staff, Case Managers, Employers, Caregivers, Coaches, First Responders, Teachers, Attorneys, and other pertinent professionals
Level of Instruction: Introductory
Instructional Method: Self-paced, interactive, hybrid of audio, text, video, and learning checks
Accessibility Accommodations: Closed captioning of all audio and video components
After completing this course, you will be able to describe and employ the following:
- Describe at least 3 behaviors or symptoms shown by people with substance use disorders.
- Relate three substances that are commonly used, and the various risk factors that contribute to the development of substance use disorders.
- Summarize skills that can be used when responding to someone who may have a substance use disorder. The summary must cover communication skills, using the stages of change as a guide, and the various treatment options and forms of support available.
- Course Overview & Introduction (4+ minutes)
- What Are Substance Use Disorders? (2+ minutes)
- What is Addiction? (9+ minutes)
- Diagnostic Criteria (3+ minutes)
- Substances (7+ minutes)
- Dispelling Stigma (2+ minutes)
- The Increased Stigma of Substance Use for BIPOC (2+ minutes)
- Language Matters (13+ minutes)
- Risk and Protective Factors (6+ minutes)
- Stages of Change (5+ minutes)
- Warning Signs (1+ minute)
- Help and Hope (3+ minutes)
- Treatment (1+ minute)
- Knowledge Check (1+ minute)
- Discussion Summary & Course Outro (2+ minutes)
- Post-Course Assessment (5+ minutes)
TALK TO A PARTNER RELATIONS EXECUTIVE
Ready to go deeper into our original mental health content, and create a custom learning experience? Fill out the form to request a demo today. Our team will follow up within 48 hours to discuss how you can get the most out of your Psych Hub preview.